Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bit of an emotional day

A while ago I decided that I would bring my Dad's ashes up to QLD to be here with me. I would build a beautiful Balinese style garden (Dad loved Balinese Gardens) and pop his ashes in a pot.
That way he could be here with me and I could go and talk to him whenever I like.

So last week I made the phone call to the cremetorium and arranged to have him retrieved and posted to me.

So I've been prepping the garden bed and on Sunday I went and bought all the plants that I wanted to put in the garden.
Yesterday I planted the plants.

Yesterday I also received the little Australia Post ticket to say that there was a parcel waiting for me to collect. I knew what it was. It wasn't going to be my Secret Santa gift cause she only posted it yesterday. It was going to be Dad's ashes.

So this afternoon I went and bought a beautiful wine coloured ceramic pot plant and then off to the post office I went.

It was Dad's ashes. It was so hard reading the plaque:
"Allan Edward Connors
15 May 1955 - 18 May 2001
Loving Husband to Kerry
Devoted Father to Lauren and Sean
Forever in our hearts"

Gee, I'm all teary just typing that now! It was so hard reading it. I've never seen it before, as horrible as that sounds. Mum arranged for the wording of the plaque and I have never been to his grave. I refused to go the day of his funeral and have not visited him anytime I went to Sydney. I planned many a time to visit him, but just couldn't do it.

Tomorrow is going to be an even harder day I am guessing as my brother is coming over after work and we are going to bury him together in the pot.

I am then going to plant a beautiful white rose bush for him, I always remember him saying that he would have loved a white rose bush at his grave, so I'm going to give it to him.

5 comments:

  1. What you're doing is a beautiful thing for your father. It would be hard and I can only offer my love and support for you.
    You're a wonderful, kind and caring woman.
    ((((massive hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, I got emotional reading about this too, sweetie. I agree with Annie - I think you're doing a fantastic thing and wherever your dad is, I know he is proud of you and very happy you are doing what you are doing for him. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is lovely, Lauren but very emotional. A hug from me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thats a beautiful thing to do Lauren... and must have been so hard to do. ive pretty much been to the cemetary twice .. was made to go to the funeral then was made to go back to do this 6 weeks later memorial thing that was just our immediate family ... i love that u have a little spot where u can have chats.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your father is so lucky to have a daughter like you. Youve thought this through so much and It sounds absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete